Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Week 36 Appointment

Well, this week was an important appointment for us. This is the week we had our last ultrasound to check if little brew is still breech or not. After crying it out, I guess I am really worried that he is still breech. I know this is really common and that babies are breech at this point more often than I realize... but, I just am scared that there is something wrong inside. He isn't turning for some reason and we don't know why. I wonder sometimes if he really is trying to turn because these last couple days he has been moving SO much. I mean, my tummy looks like there is a rollercoaster inside of it! He is definitely doing something in there, I just wish it was turning around!

I feel really dumb and kind of like a wuss that I am scared he is breech. I worry that something is wrong, yes, I worry that he has a birth defect or there is some other reason why he is not turning...  but the thing I am most scared about is the pain that I will possibly have to go through if he doesn't turn on his own. Next week at my appointment on Monday, Dr. Spencer is going to check him again to see if he has turned and if not then we are going to go in to the hospital on Wednesday to try to manually turn him. I asked kind of what this entails and he said they will hook me up to an IV and give me some pain reliever and then just push and maneuver the baby until he turns. With this option, there is a 25% chance that we will have a C-Section. The other options we have are to just wait until week 39 and see if he has turned or not... if he hasn't, then we will do a C-Section. The third option is waiting until I go into labor and trying to turn him during labor. I would not be able to have any narcotics because they would want me to be able to feel so that they don't hurt me because of me being numb from an epidural. This option scares me, mainly because of the pain I would endure. Could I handle it? If there was anything wrong or if they can't turn him, then we would do an emergency C-Section. I realize that no matter which way we choose to do it, everything will work out fine, but I am just so scared that I will be a wuss and cry and be one of those crazy women who are hysterical in their labor. What if I can't take the pain? I think we will definitely try to turn him next week, but what if he turns back around to what he has been used to for the last 8 1/2 months? I'm just scared.

Besides the fact that our boy is breech, he is doing really great. Dr. Spencer chuckled when he was looking at the fluid and checking on him and said "This baby just looks so great." Like he was surprised he wasn't turning. It made me feel a little better to hear that he is doing so well in my belly, but I really just want him to turn. It really would make this the perfect pregnancy. :) Why do boys always have to complicate things! haha, jk.

Doc also said that our lil man is weighing in right now at around 6 lbs (although he did say that the ultrasound measurements are not always right) and his head is still large, about 75th percentile. I had to laugh at that... sounds like a Brewer for sure! I am just so glad to hear that he is healthy and not under any unnecessary stress.

An interesting appointment, to say the least.

2 comments:

Chris and Marissa said...

I'm glad that your summer is going well (I revisited your other blog). I'm sorry you are stressing! Your baby bump is adorable, and I'm so excited for you!!

chelsea said...

I'm horrible at commenting but I love following your pregnancy!! It's so normal to worry, in the end it will all work out! You are soo close- he'll be here before you know it. So exciting! And melissa- you look cute!!